New Virginia DOE 2022 Model Policy and the Faux Leftist Outrage
Wow, what a weekend! On Friday, Governor Youngkin announces the revised VDOE 2022 Model Policies and like clockwork, the leftist lunatic rage ensued. Jennifer Wexton said “This is a vile and disgusting attack on vulnerable trans kids” and Abigail Spanberger said the policy “targets vulnerable children” and “would punch down kids”. I guess they don’t agree. Is their outrage genuine? Is there any legitimacy to their claims? I’ll be honest, the fact all of these Leftists in Virginia use “trans” and “kids” in the same sentence is disturbing and should tell you all you need to know, but we won’t stop here. Let’s see where the “disgusting and vile” aspects of this new policy are:
Page 1 “Purpose” Section:
- The Virginia Department of Education recognizes that each child is a unique individual with distinctive abilities and characteristics that should be valued and respected. All students have the right to attend school in an environment free from discrimination, harassment, or bullying.
- The Department also fully acknowledges the rights of parents to exercise their fundamental rights granted by the Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to direct the care, upbringing, and education of their children. The Code of Virginia reaffirms the rights of parents to determine how their children will be raised and educated. Empowering parents is not only a fundamental right, but it is essential to improving outcomes for all children in Virginia. **Want to raise your kid to be trans, you have that right and that will not be taken away**
- The Department is mindful of constitutional protections that prohibit governmental entities from requiring individuals to adhere to or adopt a particular ideological belief. The First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees religious freedom and prohibits the government from compelling speech that is contrary to an individual’s personal or religious beliefs. **The underlined sentence above is null & voids everything else under the “Purpose” section from a leftist’s perspective. If they can’t have their ideologies shoved down everyone’s throat, then it’s “vile and disgusting” and everything else is meaningless so they have to manipulate the true intent of the policy to satisfy their donors and ideological base**
The Department embarked on a thorough review of the Model Policies for the Treatment of Transgender Students in Virginia’s Public Schools (the “2021 Model Policies”), adopted on March 4, 2021. The 2021 Model Policies promoted a specific viewpoint (ideology) aimed at achieving cultural and social transformation in schools. The 2021 Model Policies also disregarded the rights of parents and ignored other legal and constitutional principles that significantly impact how schools educate students, including transgender students. **If this weren’t true, why is this such a volatile topic? This also supports why they are losing their minds, their ideology is being rejected**
So as you can see, there is not one single attack on transgender people, only the removal of the LGBTQ+ ideology. If you want to mess up your kids at home you can still do that, Governor Youngkin has NOT removed your right to do so.
Pages 2-3 “Guiding Principles”:
- Parents have the right to make decisions with respect to their children
- Schools shall respect parents’ values and beliefs
- Schools shall defer to parents to make the best decisions with respect to their children
Schools shall keep parents informed about their children’s well-being (this is where counselors and mental health staff are involved not teachers, assistants, cafeteria workers, janitors, or administrative staff)
- Schools shall serve the needs of all students (Leftists hate this because not ALL students share their ideology)
- Schools shall partner with parents
- Schools shall respect all students
Nowhere in these “Guiding Principles” are transgendered students singled out, they are entitled to ALL of the protections and respect that ALL other students are entitled to. Once again, the Leftists are outraged because their ideology is the ONLY thing being removed from the 2022 Model Policy.
Page 4 “Statutory Authority and Requirements”:
The Department of Education shall develop and make available to each school board model policies concerning the treatment of transgender students in public elementary and secondary schools that address common issues regarding transgender students in accordance with evidence-based best practices and include information, guidance, procedures, and standards relating to:
Compliance with applicable nondiscrimination laws;
Maintenance of a safe and supportive learning environment free from
discrimination and harassment for all students;
Prevention of and response to bullying and harassment;
Maintenance of student records;
Identification of students;
Protection of student privacy and the confidentiality of sensitive
Enforcement of sex-based dress codes; and
Student participation in sex-specific school activities, events, and use of school facilities. Activities and events do not include athletics.
I can’t help but notice the use of the phrase “evidence-based”. Leftists are constantly using the phrase “evidence-based” and “data”. Where under the “Statutory Authority and Requirements” are trans students in danger OR more vulnerable OR more easily targeted OR being punched down? Yet again it’s not the impact on transgender people the Leftists are worried about because there is none, it’s the disruption of entrenching their ideology into our schools.
Governor Youngkin and the VDOE have afforded trans people the SAME rights and protections as every other student. So why the outrage from the Leftists? It’s simple, they want to protect their gravy train ideology known as LGBTQ+. The real question is who is protecting trans people from the Leftist ideology? Leftists need to stop propping trans people up for their ideological purposes and stop using them as cash cows. Treat them like human beings and not like political poker chips, this IS vile and disgusting.
The full and official VDOE Model Policies are below: